Borgo di Vagli’s first structure was built in the 14th century as a guard tower to protect the impressive Pierle Castle (10th century) from marauders entering the Niccone valley from the hills behind Cortona.
IT was entirely renovated by architect Fulvio Di Rosa, who purchased the whole hamlet a few years back after it fell into disrepair being completely abandoned.
The restoration Project was very significant and the first to be brought to the town hall of Cortona and took 3 years to be designed, discussed and approved. It was a visionary Project, aiming to marry an historical era that had virtually disappeared with modern day life.
The rest of Vagli’s story is a “recent” one: the restoration works started in 2000 and were completed in 2005. Guests from all over the world are now regularly returning to this enchanting place and experiencing the enjoyment of authentic Tuscany, with their families and friends and building new friendships with other likeminded people. They are generally attracted by the same reason: being able to re-discover and re-connect with a simpler and more authentic life made up from emotions too often forgotten…their children’s or grandchildren’s laughter, long lazy days by the pool, the sound of an early morning wind, the smoke coming out of trattoria’s chimney which means Dina’s home cooked dishes, the welcome bright sunshine after a hazy dawn, the smell of freshly cut grass, the noisy silence.
La Bifora is located at Borgo di Vagli a fully restored 14th century village, just 20 minutes from the Tuscan Hill top town of Cortona.
While retaining a rustic feel the property has all the necessary comforts and features 2 spacious bedrooms a fully equipped kitchen and comfortable lounge accommodating a maximum of 4 adults and an additional 2 children for a total of 6 guests.
Townhome with 2 levels
2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1200 square feet, 112 square meters
Full and Full
6 guests maximum
Florence Airport - FLR
90 minutes by car
Beautiful view of the Tuscan countryside!
No Pets Allowed
Not Handicap Accessible
View All Amenities
Activities of Interest
- Wineries - Experience the amazing taste of Etruscan fine wines with wonderful tours. You will have the opportunity to taste the likes of Brunello di Montalcino, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano or Chianti.
- Hiking - Cortona is a hiker's paradise, with great countryside trails all across the region.
- Museo Diocesano - This museum features the notable Cortona Altarpiece, as well as works by the famous painters Luca Signorelli and Fra Angelico.
- Clelia Tondini - Featuring original designs and gorgeous ceramics, this art gallery is a hidden gem in Cortona.
Places of Interest
- Duomo di Cortona - This religious site is stunning and serene, dedicated to the blessed Virgin Mary.
- Piazza della Repubblica - Filled with wonderful restaurants, bars, and shops, you'll spend so much time exploring this charming piazza!
- Florence - Visit the famous city of the Medici family, with its churches, palaces, and priceless art collections.
- Siena - Visit Siena, the wonderful historic center of the Gothic age in Italy!
- Restaurant Il Falconiere - This stylish, authentic restaurant offers an outside terrace, overlooking panoramic vistas of the Tuscan countryside.
BORGO DI VAGLI
A delightful, peaceful hamlet situated in the hills of Tuscany over looking a 10th Century Castle. All the comforts of home, yet charming, great food on site for dinner every night except Tuesday. Located close to many medieval towns and villages. The staff is very helpful is arranging day trips or even over night forrays away to near by Florence or Rome.This is not for everyone due to the long driveway to the property, and not for those who can't hike up stairs or steep terain. We spent 13 days and loved it.”
- Chef's Kitchen
- Concierge Service
- DVD Player
- Espresso Machine
- Laundry Service
- Outdoor Pool
- Satellite/Cable TV
- Washer & Dryer
- Wireless Internet