Vaalwater, South Africa
Tsheshepe Game Lodge
Tsheshepe Big Five Game Lodge- Welgevonden Game Reserve
Tsheshepe Big Five Game Lodge is located within the 75,000 acre Welgevonden Game Reserve, which is located about a two and a half hours drive north of Johannesburg. Tsheshepe is a private lodge offering an amazing wildlife viewing experience where you could see the endangered rhino, lion, leopard, hippo, elephant, cheetah, buffalo and the full range of smaller indigenous wildlife species such as impala, waterbuck, klipspringer, duiker, wildlebeest, warthogs etc.
Welgevonden is also a birdwatcher’s paradise and the rich array of indigenous trees and flora make for wonderful game drives with stops for sundowners in the evening or coffee in the early morning. The Welgevonden terrain is very beautiful and everywhere you look there is evidence of its rich and ancient wilderness – from the majestic and mystical rock formations to fascinating San Bushmen cave art.
The entire lodge is booked out for one group at a time for their sole use, anywhere between 4 to 10 guests. This luxury lodge is fully staffed and operated as a five star safari facility for its owners and their guests. The lodge is managed by an experienced lodge manager and his team. The lodge staff will also service your rooms, cook for you, and handle your laundry as required.
Activities at Tsheshepe Safari Lodge focus on early morning, afternoon/evening game drives throughout the Welgevonden Game Reserve in a comfortable and specially converted open Landcruiser 4x4 vehicle, conducted by our experienced and knowledgeable safari guide. Midday is siesta time to enjoy the lodge's facilities and relax around the swimming pool.
The lodge has five bedrooms, each with an ensuite bathroom including indoor and outdoor showers and bath. All but two of the bedrooms are free standing made from natural stone and thatch. Two of the bedrooms are connected with their own private lounge and can be used by two couples or for parents with younger children who wish to have their kids closer by. The main area comprises of a lounge, dining room, bar area, and swimming pool.
Access: You can self drive from Johannesburg to Welgevonden Game Reserve's main park entrance, where you will be met by our manager. Your vehicle will be safely stored at the park entrance and from then onwards you will be travelling to the lodge and around the reserve on the lodge's specially converted open 4x4 game viewing Land Cruiser.
Professional transfers can be arranged from Johannesburg, at additional cost if preferred. For a larger group with a budget, a charter flight in and out of camps are also a possibility.
Although the Reserve has been regarded as in a malaria free area, there have recently been a few cases and suitable precautions should be taken.
Estate with 1 level
5 bedrooms, 5 baths, 5000 square feet
King, King, King, Twin, and Twin
10 guests maximum
Johannesburg. OR Tambo
Car, 3 hours
Facing a perennial stream 50ft from the main lodge with cliff behind, which houses a troop of about 30 baboons. Enjoy views of African wildlife during your safari adventures!
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the nature and location of Tsheshepe, we offer the lodge on a fully catered and serviced basis and hence the additional costs as specified below:
2018 Fees: Minimum charge of 6 guests
6 - 7 guests - US$150 per person per night
8-10 guests - US$125 per person per night
The surcharge covers the cost of your game drives (two per day - morning and evening), plus three sumptuous meals per day, park and concession fees, local drinks (including alcoholic) and daily housekeeping.
Additional costs that will need to be settled at the lodge, in cash on departure are imported drinks or premier brands, staff gratuities and transfers to/from Welgevonden gate.. If you wish to bring your own drinks, no corkage fees will be charged. It is also important that all guests take out fully comprehensive personal travel insurance.
Access to the lodge is as follows:
1) Self drive - you can pick up a car rental at OR Tambo and drive to/from Welgevonden - it is around 3 hours driving time
2) Transfer - we can arrange for a private transfer vehicle to take and collect you from the Park gate, where you will be met by the lodge manager. Estimated cost is around US$500 per 7 seater vehicle each way (approximately 3 hours driving time)
3) Private charter flight - this is subject to the number of guests. However a Cessna Caravan (10 seater aircraft) with maximum baggage allowance of one bag at 20kg's works out to be around US$2300 per aircraft per pick up or drop off (45 minute flight)
Please note that the above costs are estimates only and are subject to change. Accurate costs can be quoted at time of reservation
Activities of Interest
- Enjoy Wildlife viewing, safari Trips with Sundowners and Night drives
- Zebula Golf Course offers a superlative golfing experience on a Peter Matkovich designed golf course. Teeing off on this pristine 1 200-hectare bushveld estate is a considerable pleasure with its wildlife spectators, tranquility and vast open spaces.
- Campfires and barbeque in outdoor boma
- Kamotsogo Craft Art Kamotsogo - shop in Vaalwater If you’re in Vaalwater looking for unusual handmade products made by locals
Places of Interest
- Visit Bela-Bela, a town in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Deriving its name from the geothermic hot springs around which the town was built, it was formerly called Warmbaths,
- Explore Thabazimbi - an iron mining town in the Limpopo province of South Africa. The town is situated at the feet of the Ysterberg and is surrounded by the Witfonteinrand and Boshofberg with the majestic Kransberg in the background.
- Mabatlane/Vaalwater is a charming little village in the heart of the Waterberg area. It’s a centre for surrounding agriculture and game reserves.
- Kamotsogo Craft Art Kamotsogo - If you’re in Vaalwater looking for unusual handmade products made by locals
Tsheshepe Game Lodge - Trip of a lifetime!
It was amazing in every way. The lodge is beautiful, the staff incredible, and the safari outings left us in awe. Truly a trip of a lifetime. And the owner was incredibly gracious. I would give it a ten star if I could!”
ONE IN A LIFETIME EXPERIENCE
Thank you so much to Steve the owner for organizing our stay at his traditional lodge within the Welgavonden game reserve and for the incredible staff who made it all happen once we got there. This was something very special and a true once in a lifetime experience. The reserve was excellent, with many sightings - zebra, rhino, giraffe, hippo, lions, cheetah, kodoo, warthog, elephants, baboon, monkey, wilder beast, eagle, wood pecker, kingfisher, crocodile, klip springer, otter, guinea fowl to name a few - we were blown away by it all and can highly recommend this journey.”
An amazing trip!
The Tsheshepe Lodge was amazing! We had the best time. The scenery could not have been more picturesque. Seeing baboons, monkeys, and an elephant from the deck was a treat. The staff at the lodge was so accommodating. Livingston served delicious and always the prefect portioned meals. He even remembered that one of party was gluten free for the picnic. His smile and charm always warmed our hearts. Mama B and Annikie worked so diligently, catering to all our needs and wishes. We all enjoyed Mama B's exciting stories. Of course, Steven was the best! We saw elephants and lions up close and personal. His knowledge and professionalism exceeded our wildest expectations. We always felt safe and happy in Steven's care. It was a trip of a lifetime. ”
- 40"+ TV
- Chef's Kitchen
- DVD Player
- Gated Community
- Laundry Service
- Multiple TVs
- Outdoor Grill
- Outdoor Pool
- Satellite/Cable TV
- Staffed Guard Gate
- Wireless Internet
- Workout Facility