Somerset, United Kingdom
Whitelackington Manor House
For serenity and rustic charm, head to the English countryside and make yourself at home in this outstanding, historic manor home. Boasting 9700 square feet and eleven bedrooms, this gorgeous home is nestled on four acres of private, tranquil gardens, and provides an escape full of classic interiors and natural finishes that delight to no end!
You’ll find the interiors of this impressive home positively brimming with elegant designs, gorgeous antique furniture, and bright, cheery colors that will put you at ease in the midst of unsurpassed extravagance. The main sitting room boats a classic ambiance, with authentic, historic art pieces filling the room. The sofas are centered around a grand fireplace, creating warm, open space to relax on a leisurely afternoon. For a little more entertainment during the day, there’s a separate living area with a cozy reading nook, complete with impossibly plush chairs and a roaring fireplace, as well as a billiards table if you’re looking for a little friendly competition.
Even with the superb quality of the furnishings, the manor still retains a rustic charm, seen in the exposed wooden beams that run across the kitchen ceiling, and in the smooth, hardwood floors that are ever-present throughout the house. The kitchen is incredibly capacious and gourmet, creating a wonderful entertaining space and allowing for multiple chefs to get to work. An expansive center island serves as the focal point of the space, featuring polished wooden countertops, and you’ll find an abundance of state of the art appliances, ensuring everything is cooked to absolute perfection! In the kitchen area, you’ll find a lovely wooden dining table resting near the window, so you can enjoy your meals in the glow of the sunlight.
This incredible manor offers eleven divine bedrooms to choose from, sleeping up to twenty-four guests with ease. Each room offers a stunning, rustic sensibility that soothes the soul, filled with wooden antique furniture and boasting crisp linens and lavish bedding. The bedrooms are all en-suite, with the exception of the two attic rooms, which each have their own washbasin, but share a bathroom. Each of the bedrooms has been renovated to a high standard, and all offer king-sized beds, with several offering the flexibility of being set up with a king-sized bed or twin singles.
Outside, you’ll find a spectacular heated swimming pool, surrounded by lush gardens and perfect for a refreshing afternoon swim. If you’re looking to get some outdoor activity in, you also have access to your own private all-weather AstroTurf tennis court!
This stunning manor home offers wonderful proximity to the rolling hills of the countryside and all of the natural splendor that abounds in the area. During your stay, take note of the incredible historic houses in the area, such as the Dillington House and Barrington Court. The home also rests close by to Perry’s Cider Brewery and Temperley’s Cider Brewery, where you can sample the tasty ciders that the area is famous for. You’ll spend hours in the old market town of Ilminster, with incredible history and architecture to uncover, and as the day winds to a close, head to a pub for some local brews.
This extraordinary manor simultaneously reflects the rustic charm of the countryside while boasting unsurpassed elegance and luxury!
Estate with 3 levels
11 bedrooms, 11 baths, 9700 square feet
King, King, King, King, King, King, King, King, King, King, and King
24 guests maximum
Exeter International Airport (EXT), Bristol Airport (BRS)
40 minutes by car (EXT), 1 hour by car (BRS)
Activities of Interest
- Perry's Cider Brewery and Museum (7 minutes) - Located in a gorgeous, rustic location , enjoy learning the process and tasting delicious ciders at the end of your tour!
- South West Deer Rescue (20 minutes) - Set in several acres of of gorgeous countryside, this fantastic facility allows you to get up close and personal with these amazing animals.
- Chard Museum (20 minutes) - This cozy, local museum showcases exhibits about regional history and displays related to the lives of notable local residents.
- Axe Valley Wildlife Park (30 minutes) - This charming zoo is home to a variety of animals around the world ,and makes a great stop for family friendly fun!
- Axminster Heritage Museum (30 minutes) - This museum tells the story of Axminster's past, ranging from the Stone and Bronze Age to now!
Places of Interest
- Barrington Court (10 minutes) - Explore your way through this authentic Tudor manor, and enjoy the stupendous architecture and charming gardens.
- Forde Abbey House and Gardens (20 minutes) - Forde Abbey is a stunning example of history preserved, and offers spectacular gardens to peruse.
- F.east (7 minutes) - This absolute gem is tucked away in Ilminster, offering a charming and nutritious menu.
- Celandines (4 minutes) - With an ever changing menu, this lovely restaurant is able to serve seasonally fresh produce and prepare everything fresh onsite.
Hollywood does ThirdHome in the English Countryside
If Hollywood needed a quintessential English manor house, they would choose Whitelackington Manor. The house & gardens are as picture postcard as you can possibly imagine, but with all modern amenities. This house (if you dare call it that) is perfect for a large family gathering or for a group of friends who want to play Lord of the Manor for one week. We were a group of 10 friends and stayed here in September 2018. We all had our private bedroom (plus 9 ensuite bathrooms), though the house could easily sleep 24 (there are only 10 private bedrooms as the other 4 beds are in a room that has two bedrooms come off that room). Whitelackington Manor is possibly one of the finest private homes I have ever stayed in. It's large but cosy, grand but comfortable and some of our group are now playing the lottery to afford a home like it one day. Ewen, the owner, couldn't have been nicer to deal with and Helen, his property manager, welcomed us and said goodbye on our last day. If I could only have one room of the house for my own home, it would be the kitchen. The AGA kept us cosy and made cooking for 10 a dream. The large kitchen table comfortably seats 10 and was the gathering place of the house. We had a snooker tournament one day which was a highlight and drank many a G&T soaking up the late autumn sunshine in the garden. This house is NOT 5 out of 5. It is 100 out of 100. If you only stay in one ThirdHome property in England, Whitelackington Manor is the one to choose. Petra Wetzel (plus 9 very lucky friends)”
- High Speed Internet
- Outdoor Grill
- Outdoor Pool
- Satellite/Cable TV
- Washer & Dryer
- Wireless Internet