A One Bedroom Suite at Tigress Julie Lodge
Philippolis, South Africa
A One Bedroom Suite at Tigress Julie Lodge
Perched on the edge of a cliff, the Tigress Julie Lodge extends over 5,000 square feet. You will be staying in a stunning double bedroom, 360 square foot suite which features a private balcony with spectacular views of the namesake canyon. This exclusive space is elegantly styled in fine furnishings inspired by the landscape.
This luxurious property is located in a remote part of the canyon. Tucked below the horizon, the building is hidden from the surrounding game drive areas. This off-grid eco-lodge is designed to provide maximum comfort with minimal environmental impact.
Witness, cocktail in hand, the big sky deepen across the canyon. Relax by the glorious outdoor pool as the sun sets over the Karoo, and gather around the fire to share starlit stories.
Catered game drives (included) depart early in the early morning and the late afternoon for scouted tiger sightings. These times also provide the best light for your photographs, especially when the afternoon slips into the famous golden hour — a window of light when the landscape softly glows.
Tiger Canyon is an ex-situ conservation project that has established a sanctuary for wild Bengal tigers in the South African heartland: today the reserve is home to the only population of wild tigers outside of Asia.
With the completion of the off-grid and exclusive Tigress Julie Lodge, Tiger Canyon has merged conservation with ecotourism: guests are able to witness the success of this groundbreaking conservation model first-hand, viewing wild tigers in a natural and free environment in the rugged beauty of the Karoo.
THIRDHOME has partnered with VIATOR, one of the largest online destination tours and activities provider, featuring thousands of tours and activities to choose from within a global platform of exciting offerings. VIATOR is perfect for “Do It Yourself” planners to consider when seeking to book a sightseeing day tour, city spree, regional day trips, including local city happenings.
Click the link below to view VIATOR tours and activities:
Single Family Home with 1 level
1 bedroom, 1 bath, 360 square feet, 34 square meters
2 guests maximum
Bram Fischer International (BFN) - Philippolis Aerodrome
2 hours 30 minutes by car (BFN). 30 minutes by car from Philippolis Aerodrome
The breathtaking and wild Tiger Canyon Private Game Reserve
No Pets Allowed
Not Handicap Accessible
View All Amenities
There is a mandatory daily $100USD per person charge which covers 3 meals a day, all beverages, all alcohol and snacks on game drives.
Return Airport Shuttle from BFN available on request at 8,000 South African Rands (approx $580 USD). Up to 6 people.
For private flights (there is a private runway nearby at Gariep Dam), shuttle service can be arranged from the airstrip on request at 4,000 South African Rand (approx $300 USD). Also up to 6 people.
Activities of Interest
- Wine Country
- Tiger safaris - Nothing compares to the visceral thrill of seeing a real tiger up close. The first encounter, that magical moment when you lock eyes with one of these precious big cats, stays with you for life.
- Game drives - You will have a mix of exciting sightings with plenty of time to just appreciate the animals, lots of discussion with your guide and also the chance to learn about other aspects of the bush such as plants, birds, how to track animals, etc.
- Oom Japie se Huis Bookstore & Restaurant - This wonderful and expansive bookstore lives in a Victorian home dating to 1881. the store doubles as a mini-restaurant, and a chef can be hired to prepare things like mutton knuckles and baked Karoo lamb.
- Waterkloof Craft Brewery - This microbrewery proudly serves its signature Karoobossie and Kapokbossie ales and the town is home to more than 200 bird species like the African fish eagles and the once-rare but now recovering blue cranes.
Places of Interest
- Tiger Canyon - You will be staying in a truly incredible part of South Africa, one to tick off your bucket list. See tigers up close as they roam freely through the sanctuary.
- Gariep Dam Nature Reserve (1.5 hrs) - The Free State’s largest nature reserve, it's the ideal place to spot some amazing wildlife like wildebeest, blesbok, impala, springbok and several other species.
- Mokala National Park (3 hrs) - A grassy plains studded with rocky hills and indigenous camel thorn trees, the park is also home to endangered species relocated here, including black rhinos, roan antelopes and Cape buffalos.
- Rolfontein Nature Reserve (2 hrs) - 8 000 hectares of mountainous terrain, Karoo plains, little dolerite koppies and densely wooded mountain kloofs. Visitors can picnic in the reserve, or overnight in the basic tented camp.
As a frequent visitor to many countries in Africa and to safari life, I was absolutely blown away by the caliber of the guides, the animal interaction and the hospitality of Tigress Lodge. In fact, after spending weeks on safari in both Kenya and Tanzania prior to my trip to Tigress Lodge, I can say without hesitation that my time in Tiger Canyon was beyond compare. Put this place on your bucket list!! Lisa Foley”
We have done many exchanges over the years and this is right up there ! A magnificent reserve great accommodation and we were looked after in a fantastic way - highly recommended and up close to all animals - just perfect and to get all inclusive is a bonus as was the great team that looked after our every need Michael and Jane ”