Pepper Tree Cottage
This old homestead or “Pepper Tree Cottage” as it is now called, has been refurbished to accommodate four people in two double bedrooms, with en-suite bathrooms.
It has a fully equipped kitchen, dining room and sitting room. It is air-conditioned, has a wood burning stove, satellite TV, WiFi and sound system. With its own pool, it has magnificent views of the Naudesberg in the distance.
Free WiFi and wireless routers in all cottages/units (excellent signal)
In 1750 Johannes Cloppers erected this house, the original homestead on the farm. Johannes was the son of Hendrik Clopper, the first owner of the greater Cloppersbosch farm, which extended from here all the way to Worcester.
This old homestead today is the oldest dwelling in the Nuy Valley. It is built from mud bricks, poplar beams and thatch, and still has its old “bakoond”.
Johannes irrigated lands from the Toontjiesrivier, which flows nearby. These water furrows are still evident today, some 250 years later.
Many interesting characters lived in this little cottage, including Marthinus Prinsloo, who became President of the Republic of Graaf-Reinet.
Single Family Home with 1 level
2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1500 square feet, 140 square meters
King and King
4 guests maximum
Cape Town Airport
2 hours by car
No Pets Allowed
Not Handicap Accessible
View All Amenities
Activities of Interest
- Wine Country
- Mountain bike ride - 30km start and finish, Nuy on the Hill!
- Fishing, catch and release
- Boat cruises ( 30 minute drive)
- Franschhoek wine tram (1 hour drive)
- Golden Valley Casino (30 minute drive)
Places of Interest
- Private wine tasting on Penhill Farm done by award winning winery Conradie Penhill Vineyards at extra charge (groups only) or at no extra cost at Conradie Family Cellars a mere 4km down the road
- Horse riding combo outrides to include wine, olive or beer tasting
- Bird watching, sundowner / Picnic spots, tractor rides
- Klipbokkop Mountain Reserve (40 minutes drive)
- Brandvlei Nature Reserve (40 minute drive)
- Val de Vie Polo Estate (1 hour 10 minute drive)
- Karoo Desert National Botanical Garden (30 minute drive)
- Pearl Valley and Boschenmeer golf estate (1 hour drive)
- Fairview Cheesery and Spice Route Beer Brewery (1 hour drive)
- Lion Sanctuary Drakenstein Park (1 hour 10 minutes drive)