A Suite at The Oceana Beach & Wildlife Reserve
Riet River, South Africa
Port Alfred is nothing less than the big diamond in the Eastern Cape’s tourism crown. Even though it still has the charm and feel of a small village by the sea, Port Alfred and its offerings will keep you enthralled.
There are sections of Port Alfred that are true to the most seductive postcard settings: long swathes of beaches, a picture-perfect marina with its colourful mansions and slipways and the lazy old Kowie River that meanders inland to the nearby boundaries of Bathurst, the neighbouring village with the slightly hippy medieval vibe.
As it sits plumb in the middle of the Sunshine Coast, Port Alfred enjoys the mild weather of a typically sub-tropical zone. The waters of the Indian Ocean are forgivingly warm and the reefs off Port Alfred provide great diving spots. In fact, if you’re even slightly water-crazy, Port Alfred will have you canoeing up the Kowie, kite-sailing on the beach, signing up with the local dive school for courses, water-skiing on the river, whale-watching from a licensed boat or heading out into deep waters for some ocean fishing.
In fact, with the presence of a number of top game reserves in the area, Port Alfred is now being marketed as a ‘Big Eight' destination, where you might be lucky enough to see lions, leopards, rhinos, buffalos, elephants, dolphins, sharks and whales.
Then there’s the Gary Player golf course over at the Fish River Sun about 20 minutes’ drive from Port Alfred and, for those with a love of the open skies, there’s South Africa’s premier flight training venue: 43 Air School. This legendary centre has 60 training aircraft, and the same number of flying instructors. This is where future airline-, air force- and commercial pilots come to train in idyllic coastal surrounds.
Located in Port Alfred, Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve offers a large deck overlooking the Indian Ocean and bush. It features a private beach area, an Africa-shaped swimming pool and free Wi-Fi.
Each accommodation at Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve boasts a private deck with ocean and bush views. All are decorated in an African theme and have a lounge and private bathroom with a spa bath.
Guests can enjoy a cocktail together with scenic views at the central bar area with its fireplace. There is also a lounge with sofas and chairs, and a restaurant with several dining options.
Guests can take a dip in the pool, play billiards or go fishing. There is also a library with books and DVDs, and a curio shop selling jewelry, souvenirs and books.
A shuttle service is available to Port Alfred Airport, a 10-minute drive away. The property can also organise beach walks, surfing and game drives.
Featuring a private wooden deck with panoramic views of the ocean and the bush, this suite is decorated with an animal theme and handcrafted furnishings, antiques and artefacts.
The suite offers 2 bathrooms, 1 with a double shower and the other with a spa bath.
There is a minibar and a living room with a flat-screen satellite TV.
Please note: Photos are indicative of the property and not necessarily the actual suite you will be staying in.
***There is a mandatory fee of ZAR600 per day per person which includes lunch and dinner. Beverages are not included.
Single Family Home with 1 level
1 bedroom, 1 bath, 200 square feet, 19 square meters
2 guests maximum
Port Alfred Airport
10 min drive
Stunning views of the African bush and the Indian Ocean
No Pets Allowed
Not Handicap Accessible
View All Amenities
Activities of Interest
- Come into contact with the real Africa in a game drive experience.
- Spend the day relaxing on Oceana Beach and Wildlife Reserve's private beach.
- The spa is designed as a place to escape to when you are in search of pure self-indulgence. Check the Spa Menu and contact reception to make a reservation *Fees apply*
- For golf lovers, The Royal Port Alfred Golf course offers stunning views of the ocean and on clear days whales and dolphins can be seeing while playing. The Fish River Sun Golf Course is an 18 hole must-play golf course.
- Other activities in the area include birding, surfing, diving, skiing on the river, whale-watching from a licensed boat or ocean fishing into deep waters - from licensed boats.
Places of Interest
- The Sunshine Coast offers a wide cultural and historical scene. Visit the Kowie History Museum and the 43 Air-School Museum.
- The Addo Elephant Park is home to over 600 elephants and other mammals including Cape buffalos, black rhinos, Traansval lions and spotted hyenas. It was initially founded as an elephant sanctuary for the 11 remaining in the area - 1,15 hour drive.
- The latest exciting development in Port Alfred is in Wharf Street, which has become the exclusive shopping centre of the village.
- 40"+ TV
- Air Conditioning
- Covered Parking
- Espresso Machine
- Gated Community
- High Speed Internet
- Hot Tub
- Laundry Service
- Multiple TVs
- Outdoor Grill
- Outdoor Pool
- Satellite/Cable TV
- Wireless Internet
- Workout Facility