Tree House on Dewees Island
Charlotte’s Pearl is a pristine barrier island retreat with one of the most beautiful beaches in the southeast - Dewees Island. Our home is one of only 60 houses on this 1200 acre island. Our house is located near a beach access path which allows for an easy walk to the beach or a short golf cart ride. Most of the two and a half mile long island is untouched by development and over half in permanent conservation. You are often the only ones on the beach. Wildlife abounds on the island and includes deer, water fowl and migrating birds. The two tidal lakes on the island provide great fishing, crabbing, clamming and shrimping. However, just because you feel like you are worlds away from the stress you left behind, you are only 20 minutes from shopping, great restaurants, golf and the romantic city of Charleston via our comfortable Dewees Island ferry. Dolphins often escort the ferry to and from the island.
The custom built, elevated second row home provides a wonderful private two acre oasis on the edge of a maritime forest with lake and marsh views. The sights and sounds of nature dominate. You feel like you are staying in your own private tree house with the closest visible home on the other side of the lake. The floor plan (2,400 square feet inside along with 1,400 square feet of covered and screened porches) is inverted to allow maximum advantage of the marsh and lake views from the living areas and wrap around covered screened porch on the top floor. Each bedroom on the second level opens to a covered screened porch. Both master bedrooms have their own private screened porch. From the rooftop observation deck, the views of the ocean and intercoastal waterway are magnificent.
As our guest you are able to use all the amenities of the Huyler House such as the wonderful pool area and tennis courts. The Huyler House is a magnificent lodge that serves as the center of the community.
If you want a beautiful place to relax, disconnect, and enjoy family and friends without the distractions of the everyday world - come to Charlotte's Pearl on Dewees Island. You'll be glad you did.
Private Residence with 3 levels
4 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2400 square feet, 223 square meters
King, King, Full, and Full
10 guests maximum
Charleston International Airport
30 minutes by car - then a short ferry ride over to island
Ocean, Lake, and Marsh
No Pets Allowed
Not Handicap Accessible
View All Amenities
Fort Sumter – The site where the country was ripped apart on April 12th 1861, Fort Sumter saw the first shots of the Civil War. The island is accessible by boat only but once there the fort itself does not have an entrance fee.
Activities of Interest
- Huyler House
- Tennis, Crabbing, Shelling, Wildlife Viewing, Biking
- All Watersports, Live Theatre, Sailing, Museums
Places of Interest
- Dewees Island Beach
- Historic Charleston, SC
- Fort Sumter – The site where the country was ripped apart on April 12th 1861, Fort Sumter saw the first shots of the Civil War. The island is accessible by boat only but once there the fort itself does not have an entrance fee.
- Fort Moultrie – The fort is located on Sullivan’s Island and historically defended the entrance to Charleston Harbor, famously defending Charleston from British invasion in 1776 during the War of Independence.
- South Carolina Sea Aquarium – Located on Charleston Harbor the aquarium offers the chance to see marine life both in the aquarium and also in their natural habitat. Charleston Harbor's resident dolphins can be seen from the Aquarium’s terrace.
- Plantation tours – A number of the plantations that are part of the history of America are close by. Explore over three hundred years of Southern heritage at Boone Hall or America’s oldest gardens from c.1680 at Magnolia Plantation and Its’ Gardens.
- Shopping in Charleston – For instance, Tanger Outlet Center offers savings on big brand names.
- Spoleto Festival (May 23rd – June 8th 2014) – This festival in Charleston fills the towns' theatres and churches with renowned and emerging performers of opera and theatre as well as classical and Jazz music