Chateau de Lalande
Crozon sur Vauvre, France
Chateau de Lalande is a magnificent 16th Century chateau nestled in the heart of France amidst rolling meadows, ancient hedgerows and magnificent woodland.
This corner of the Berry was described by the romantic novelist, George Sand, as la vallée noire, an "enchanting earthly paradise."
It is a stunning, historic home which was once owned by Louis XIV's cousin, La Grande Mademoiselle!
The chateau is furnished with French antiques and has a beautiful enfilade of reception rooms, including a large sitting room with a baby grand piano. Many rooms have open fireplaces.
Lalande is nestled in 60 acres of peaceful woods and meadows. For food lovers, there is a large organic vegetable garden, orchard, and hives that produce the property's honey.
This is the perfect place to relax amidst nature, to host a family reunion, or to work on an artistic project free from any interruptions.
There are also many places to visit - local churches with ancient frescoes, small market towns and many places mentioned in the romantic novels of George Sand.
Bear in mind that it is best to have your own car in this area as there is no public transport, but cars can be hired at Chateauroux train station or Limoges airport if you are coming that way.
Single Family Home with 3 levels
13 bedrooms, 10 baths, 11000 square feet, 1022 square meters
King, Queen, Full, King, 2x Twin, 2x Twin, Twin, Twin, Twin, Twin, Full, Full, and 2x Twin
22 guests maximum
Limoges International Airport - LIG
1 hour and 15 minutes by car
Rolling fields, hedgerows, cows. No other properties.
Pets Welcome Upon Approval
Not Handicap Accessible
View All Amenities
Activities of Interest
- Visit George Sand's Museum located in her original house where she wrote most of her work.
- Enjoy a wide selection of water sports at nearby Eguzon lake including windsailing, water-skiing and canoeing.
- Visit the beautiful Châteauroux forest and enjoy great hiking trails and footpaths. The forest is home to a large humber of wild animals such as stags, roes, foxes and wild boars.
Places of Interest
- Visit the village of Nohant where French novelist George Sand lived in her lovely chateau. In this sumptuous accommodation she hosted many famous artists including Frederick Chopin, with whom she had a relationship, Honoré de Balzac and Eugène Delacroix.
- Admire the many porcelain factories of the beautiful town of Limoges
- Admire the beautifully-preserved 12th century frescoes at Saint Martin's church in nearby village of Vic.
Stunning place, excellent hosting.
"Steph's chateau is just magical. The care and love that's clearly gone into every bright curtain fold, every eclectic sculpture, every elegant plate, leaves you in awe. The grounds are soothing, tranquil, and full of trails for wandering around. Steph was a great host: sparkling and eager to make our stay superb."”
Amazing experience. The place , the surroundings are incredible . The owner is such an amazing person and host that makes the experience incredible and real. ”
Pure Honest French Charm
The property from the outside is everything you imagine from an old chateau - lovely rural location with wonderful countryside views and the building itself is beautiful with turrets and old stone walls and a very social layout of reception rooms. The team at the chateau were incredibly warm, welcoming and nothing was too much trouble, they did bread runs in the morning for us and also we arranged for them to do dinner every night which was delicious. Many thanks to the owner too for opening up her home with such a relaxed approach that we could move sofas if we needed to and both children and adults alike had a great time and properly relaxed. Every night we ate off a different amazing Limoges porcelain too!!”