Whangapoua is a small settlement on the Coromandel Peninsula of New Zealand.
Situated 25 minutes drive east over the Coromandel Range from Coromandel along the northeastern coastline Whangapoua encompasses the popular white sand beaches of New Chums Beach, Matarangi, Kuaotunu Beach and Otama Beach.
Whangapoua Beach is a safe 1.5 km long sandy swimming beach flanked in the north by the rocky foreshore towards Motuto Point and by Te Rehutae Point in the southeast.
The northern end of Whangapoua Beach is the starting point of a partly unformed track to New Chums Beach - that beach is only accessible via this track or by boat.
This wonderfully situated and beautifully appointed bach has everything you need to get the most out of stay in this very special part of New Zealand.
With direct beach access you will be able to get the most out of what the area has to offer while having your own very comfortable hideaway to retreat to each day.
With three bedrooms and two bathrooms and an airy open-plan living area, you will have plenty of space to kick back and relax.
Whangapoua's Māori history dates back to the 13th century.
A reserve at Opera Point, east of Whangapoua, contains the remains of the Raukawa pa site. European settlers started arriving in the 1860s, drawn to the area chiefly for kauri milling and gold mining.
The northern end of Whangapoua Beach is the starting point for access to New Chums Beach.
Private Residence with 1 level
3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1800 square feet, 168 square meters
Queen, Queen, and Twin
6 guests maximum
Auckland International Airport
2.5 hours by car
The beach and ocean beyond
No Pets Allowed
Not Handicap Accessible
View All Amenities
Activities of Interest
- Matarangi Bluff Track - Providing spectacular views over Matarangi, Kuaotunu and into the ranges behind on this walk through regenerating forest. The forest has been enhanced with a native tree planting program since 2010.
- Opera Point on the Coromandel Peninsula offers a walk on an old tramway line to a pleasant beach
Places of Interest
- Whangapoua Beach - admire the gorgeous coastline and take some time to cool off with a swim in the blue water. Or you can simply laze on the warm sand and snooze in the sunshine.
- Take a short trek across some beach boulders to one of the world's top 10 beaches - New Chums Beach. Once there, swim in the crystal-clear water and don't miss the chance to explore the area further on a 30-minute walk along a coastal trail.
- Castle Rock Café offers you a takeaway or sit-down menu throughout the day using local produce that includes their range of homemade chutneys and sauces.