The Historic Mill House
Highlands, North Carolina
The Historic Mill House
Overlooking the shimmering water of Mirror Lake, the Mill House boasts one of the most tranquil locations in all of Highlands, North Carolina. Surrounded by untamed, natural beauty, this historic, five bedroom home sits on 2800 square feet, so close to the lake and the Cullasaja River that you can hear the water rushing by from every room.
This rustic home, created from an authentic mill, has been decorated extensively with pastoral furniture and art pieces, complete with wood paneling on the floors and walls to accentuate the natural feel of the home. Each space offers large, expansive windows, allowing the sunshine to stream in and bathe each room in a warm, natural glow. The Mill House offers two cozy common areas, one a downstairs den with plush, leather seating surrounding a large flat screen television, the perfect spot for enjoying a football game or a movie. The other space is outfitted in the same, rustic manner, with a wood-framed couch and an earthy, stone fireplace. When the brisk evening wind blows, you’ll love snuggling up to the warm fire, and spending a little quality time together before you head off to bed.
The kitchen and the dining room can be found in the same expansive space. The kitchen is outfitted with state-of-the-art appliances and other amenities that will help you and your family work together to whip up something delicious. Enjoy your spectacular creation at the elegant, wooden dining table, situated under an intricately designed chandelier. Or, if the weather permits, make your way to the spacious outdoor deck and dine together amongst the trees! When dinner is over, head to the screened-in porch, with ample, comfortable seating, to enjoy a nightcap before bed in the cool breeze.
The gorgeous master bedroom at this historic home offers a comfortable king-sized bed. The wood panel walls and the cozy sitting area, complete with a rocking chair and stone fireplace, create a woodsy and cozy atmosphere, just what you need when drifting off to sleep. The other four bedrooms are styled in the same pastoral manner, with two offering queen-sized beds, one with double twin beds, and the last containing two sets of bunk beds. Each bed is outfitted with snug, quilted duvets that are sure to keep you warm on those cool, mountain nights.
The land surrounding this property offers a rugged sort of beauty that you’ll never tire of exploring. On your property alone, you’ll find an authentic water wheel, a sparkling lake and rushing river full of fish, and two canoes readily at your disposal. There are a multitude of waterfalls nearby, including Dry Falls, Bridal Veil Falls, and Cullasaja Falls, just to name a few! Highlands contains part of North Carolina’s largest natural forest, Nantahala National Forest, with multitudes of hiking trails for you to explore. If you ever need a break from the incredible natural wonders surrounding you, there are plenty of golf courses nearby, and downtown Highlands is only one mile away, filled with wonderful restaurants, shopping, and even a luxurious spa.
There’s simply no other getaway destination like The Mill House on Mirror Lake. Book your stay today for a unique experience filled with natural wonder and luxury.
Single Family Home with 2 levels
5 bedrooms, 4 baths, 2800 square feet
King, Queen, Queen, 2x Twin, and Bunk
13 guests maximum
Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Asheville Regional Airport (AVL)
3 hours by car (ATL), 1 hour and 30 minutes (AVL)
Beautiful views of Mirror Lake!
Activities of Interest
- Sky Valley Golf Club - Discover this championship level golf course, offering breathtaking views and challenging holes played on pristine, bent grass greens.
- The Bascom - Check out this astounding center for visual arts, offering interesting and often interactive exhibits.
- Cliffside Lake Recreation Area - With seven hiking trails, a six-acre lake and two spectacular waterfalls, this park is a Mecca for outdoorsmen.
- Highlands Heritage Trail - This trail is a self-guided walking tour of the historic Highlands downtown area.
- Fly Fishing - Fly fish for Brown, Rainbow, and Wild Brook Trout with local guides on numerous rivers in the area.
Places of Interest
- Dry Falls - Walk directly underneath this 75-foot, tumbling waterfall
- Sunset Rock and Ravenal Park - This park offers an elevated and exposed rock face overlooking downtown Highlands, creating a wonderful spot to watch the sunset.
- Jackson Hole Gem Mine - Located near the breathtaking Cullasaja Falls, this mine offers a covered flume so you can dig for treasure come rain or shine.
- Cullasaja River Gorge - Take a spectacular scenic drive along the Waterfall Byway to see three, gorgeous waterfalls formed by the roaring Cullasaja River.
- Ristorante Paoletti - Dine on refined Italian dishes, and delicious wines at this polished, European restaurant.
One of the most unique properties we've ever experienced: a waterfall and a mountain river surround the charming historic home and can be heard and seen from virtually every room. PLUS so many places to sit inside and outside to just plain relax, which is why you're in the mountains to begin with! Only one mile from downtown Highlands but extremely private location. Be sure to read the link to VRBO to understand all the details about this enjoyable rustic property. ”
- 40"+ TV
- Air Conditioning
- DVD Player
- Multiple TVs
- Outdoor Grill
- Pets (with Approval)
- Satellite/Cable TV
- Washer & Dryer
- Wireless Internet