Located in the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage San Miguel de Allende, Casa Estana emerged from the ruins of a working tin factory (hence Casa Estana) and offers a luxurious and comfortable retreat in a region of rich colonial charm. Lovingly restored, this grand and elegant property embodies not only the heartbeat of central Mexico, but also reflects the owner's European heritage and tastes. At Casa Estana, guests will feel more like residing in a boutique hotel with the amenities of a fully functioning fine residence with maximum privacy.
When walking through the front door via the outdoor loggia, guests will be greeted by a bubbling fountain that offers seclusion and freshness on hot days and surrounded by light and clean spaces with a layered neutral color palette and textures. Comfortable chairs from Crate & Barrel and ottomans for reading, laptopping or lounging are enhanced by a gas fireplace, estrella lighting and a BOSE sound system. The property boasts an exterior security camera at the main door (not inside).
The iron gate of the private walled courtyard opens onto the living room, which features a Parisian-inspired light fixture from Casa Midy. Inside the property, there are many touches that typify the artisanal works to be found in Mexico and its adjoining dining room that seats up to 12 makes an elegant space for entertaining, served by the spacious sleek canterra kitchen that offers a whole-house water filtration system, all modern appliances and the kitchen tools to create magic.
Casa Estana consists of a main house, with a king bed in the master, a queen bed in the second bedroom, as well as, an add on in the casita to have an extra queen bedroom to accommodate up to six guests. With every comfort taken care of and luxury facilities, all 3 bedrooms have top of the line linens, a gas fireplace and their own flat-screen TV. To make sure guests needs are met, the pet-friendly property is loaded with special amenities, including a total of five fireplaces with remote controls, in-floor radiant heating (at an extra cost), Bose music system indoors and out, a digital music library with 30,000 songs, and a 42-inch flat-screen TV that is located in the third-floor den/media room.
Up the sweeping staircase, guests will find the master suite, including its dual-sink bathroom with a large tiled rain shower, and a terrace with lounging area. Also, on this floor is the second master suite bedroom, which features a walk-in closet and a bathroom with a tub. The separate guest casita has a shower bathroom and a private terrace with cafe table and chairs, with stunning sunrises that demand to be observed!
Up on the third level of the house, in the first of two roof terraces, guests will find an outdoor kitchen with a barbecue grill, fridge, and two-burner stoves. With this kitchen on the terrace, guests won’t miss the sunset, and will want to refill a glass or make a snack while enjoying the breathtaking colors of the desert. The ochres and hues of the city will meld and transform, and this nature show will provide guests with the best entertainment in town.
This unique jewel, whose extraordinary location in a very quiet zone of the city centre shrouded in exclusivity, privacy, and top quality finishes, adds an extra luxury. The possibility of walking through the streets to immerse yourself in the city and enjoy its old town, with stunning colonial architecture, pops of brilliant color, commercial areas, and traditional restaurants. A few steps away from Casa Estana, the Jardín is the heartbeat of San Miguel. Day and night is a buzz with all sorts of activity. Whether its people watching, socializing, reading the paper, having a coffee or just taking in the scene, you will find yourself drawn to the heartbeat of the city.
Recognized from the iconic parish of San Miguel Arcangel that sits at its heart since the 17th century, the city is as culturally diverse as it is historic and colorful. A short walk from this focal point of the city will lead guests to Fábrica La Aurora, a beautiful art and design center housed in a former textile factory from the turn-of-the century. With great biodiversity and many different species of native plants and animals, El Church del Ingenio is a botanical garden that was sanctified as a ‘Peace Zone’ by the Dalai Lama, just a few minutes from the historical city, and whose name comes from a spring-fed pool nestled in an impressive canyon.
One of the best-kept archaeological secrets of Mexico is only 30 minute drive from Casa Estana, the Cañada de la Virgen. Cañada de la Virgen was named after a geode found in the canyon that when opened, resembled the virgin Mary. Occupied by the Otomi people between the 6th and the 11h century, the site that reflects the surrounding landscape that was served as a ceremonial space, and that is home to the main temple, which is aligned to the movements of celestial bodies.
Just outside of San Miguel de Allende, guests will be able to enjoy to spend a day lounging in relaxing hot springs at Escondido Place, a wonderful place where you will be able to ease your tensions and soothe tired muscles by relaxing in one of the pools of steaming, mineral-rich warm water. Totally integrated into the surrounding nature, Escondido has amazing gardens, spa services and restaurants with ten pools with water temperature of up to 104°F (40°C).
***Age restrictions applied. The property is not adapted to children under 12 years***
Private Residence with 3 levels
3 bedrooms, 4 baths, 6458 square feet, 600 square meters
King, Queen, and Queen
6 guests maximum
Querétaro Intercontinental Airport
An hour and 15 minutes by car
360 degree colonial city, dessert and aqueduct
Pets Welcome Upon Approval
Not Handicap Accessible
View All Amenities
*In-floor radiant heating is available at an additional cost.
*Maid service is provided six days a week, who also can prepare your breakfast (cooking services are included during regular hours, but guests pay extra for the actual food).
*Laundry service, cooking services and occasional mid-day comida are available at guests expenses.
*Maid service is available for after hours cooking at the guests expense.
*Gratuity of $10 USD/MXP equivalent per week to house staff not included/required. IE 6 persons - $60 a week. 2 persons - $20/week.
Activities of Interest
- Wine Country
- Hot air balloon, fly over the beautiful colonial town of San Miguel de Allende and the surrounding countryside!
- Canada de virgin (30 min by car) - Visit the remarkable Prehistoric site, an ancient temple complex belonging to the native Otomi people.
- Horseback riding and ATV tours in the canyons
- Catch a performance at the Teatro Ángela Peralta, an elegant and intimate theater built in 1873
- Head to La Gruta (20-minute ride out of San Miguel de Allende) to visit hot springs where you can spend a whole day taking a dip in the springs, enjoying a massage, or lounging around one of the pools
- Spend the day enjoying local vinyard, San Lucas with lunch or one of the polo matches they host throughout the year
Places of Interest
- El Jardin (1 min walk) - Located in the heart of the city, the main plaza features shops, cafes, and plenty of culture.
- La Posadita (1 min walk) - Boasting one of the best locations in San Miguel, excellent service accompanies hearty Mexican fare.
- Centro Histórico. San Miguel historic quarter. Restaurants, museums, hotels, boutiques.
- Parroquia de San Miguel Arcangel (5 min walk) - This towering parish features intricate pink pinnacles that break through the skyline.
- Áperi (5 min walk) - This restaurant is the talk of town. Regularly changing menu features the likes of duck, pork and seafood dishes, prepared with local San Miguelense ingredients.
- San Agustín (10 min walk) - A 'don't leave San Miguel without…' experience. This sweet tooths' paradise is the best place in Mexico for chocolate and churros.
- Fábrica La Aurora (15 min walk) - Houses over 40 artist studios, galleries, shops and restaurants. Time your visit on the first Friday of the month and you can meet the artists over free wine and cheese.
- Oratorio de San Felipe Neri (10 min by car) - Inside this this multi-towered, domed pale pink church, are 33 oil paintings showing scenes from the life of San Felipe Neri, the 16th-century Florentine who founded the Oratorio Catholic order.
- El Charco del Ingenio Botanical Garden (10 min by car) - The 88-hectare botanic garden features a plethora of natural splendor, also a wildlife and bird sanctuary, plus recreational and ceremonial space.
- Escondido Place (20 min by car) - Enjoy relaxing in this natural thermal pool, surrounded by scenic natural beauty.
Our stay at Casa Estana was tops. Location is very convenient 4 blocks from the main plaza. The house is great and the staff very efficient and friendly. Recommend this very highly.”
Fabulous home with fabulous views from the rooftop.
The home was amazing with wonderful views on the rooftop. It was convenient and a short walk to Le Jordin. The housekeeper speaks English well and was helpful to us plus cooks wonderful breakfasts. I would love to return to Casa Estana and highly recommend it. ”