Charmouth Lodge is a grade II listed, Georgian, semi-detached house with an interesting history. It was originally the lodge and gatehouse to the main estate at nearby Catherston Leweston. In the early 1900’s it was redeveloped as a school and run by four sisters, Beryl, Winnie, Dorothy and Joan who were direct descendants of Dick Whittington! It occupies a prominent position in the village of Charmouth on Dorset’s Jurassic coast, a world heritage site.
This beautiful property is comprised of:
- 2 king-size bedded rooms.
- 1 twin bedded room.
- 1 Bedroom with bunk beds and a single bed.
- Main bathroom with sink, bath and luxury shower.
- Separate toilet.
- En-suite bathroom (to second king size bed) with sink, shower and toilet.
- Large fully equipped kitchen.
- Dining Room with floor to ceiling French doors opening out to deep front garden.
- Double aspect drawing room with floor to ceiling French windows.
- Large entrance hall.
- Downstairs cloakroom.
- Utility Room.
- Enclosed garden with terraced area.
- Space for 2 cars in the drive and further space for parking by the playing fields.
Charmouth Lodge features:
- Stone Floor in Kitchen.
- French dresser in Kitchen.
- Original floorboards in Drawing Room, Dining Room, entrance hall and hallways.
- Magnificent original staircase
- Fully working, open fire in the Drawing Room.
Charmouth Beach, with its heritage centre and guided fossil walks, is within easy walking distance of the house and only 5 minutes drive from Victorian Lyme Regis and 10 minutes drive from the bustling market town of Bridport. Abbotsbury and its famous Swannery are nearby, as is Chesil Beach. There are an abundance of golf courses in the area and sea fishing from Lyme Regis. Charmouth Lodge has immediate access to the local butcher, deli, general store, supermarket, restaurants and pubs in the village.
The house backs on to playing fields, via a private road, with a children’s playground. Going inland, Charmouth Lodge is only a couple of miles from the Marshwood Vale, declared an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
If you like simple family holidays on the beach with wonderful history, great walking, wonderful british pubs and fossil hunting, it is hard to beat!
Private Residence with 2 levels
4 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2500 square feet, 233 square meters
King, Queen, Bunk, and Twin
9 guests maximum
2.5 hours by car
Charmouth Lodge is a grade II listed, Georgian, semi-detached house. It occupies a prominent position in the village of Charmouth on Dorset’s Jurassic coast, a world heritage site.
No Pets Allowed
Not Handicap Accessible
View All Amenities
Activities of Interest
- Wine Country
- Fossil Hunting on Charmouth beach.
- The Dorset Golf & Country Club & Resort and Lyme Regis Golf Club.
Places of Interest
- Lyme Regis, beautiful seaside town.
- Hix restaurant overlooking the Cobb, Lyme Regis.
Marvelous Jurassic Coast Vacation
Southern England with its coastal splendor is a marvelous place for vacation. The Charmouth Lodge was a perfect place, very comfortable , close to the beach and has all the amenities. The village is quaint. We loved being able to walk to restaurants, pubs and fossil hunt. The small coastal villages are within 30 minutes to one hour away. We enjoyed our stay. Thank you for sharing your home with us.”