Gowerhass, Cooraclare, Kilrush, Ireland
Winner of Ireland's Home of The Year On the Wild Atlantic Way
Located on the crest of a hill 25 miles from Shannon Airport and only 1 mile from the coast & beach, THE SAFE HOUSE has a sense of peace and calm that only good architecture & a wonderful location can bring. In 2017 it was awarded the title of Home of The Year on RTE Television.
The house originally dates from the 1790's and was long known locally as a hideaway for Irish Rebels throughout Ireland's tumultuous past. It was fully renovated and extended in 2014 as a getaway from the bustle of modern city life. We call it THE SAFE HOUSE not only because of its history but of the sense of peace and calm it brings when we visit.
Designed by award winning Swiss Architect Jean Claude Girard, this beautifully renovated farmhouse has a unique modern twist. The concept of the house was always to be a place of sanctuary, away from the bustle of city life, and it does that beautifully.
The living area is dominated by two of the biggest domestic windows in Ireland, allowing you to feel as if you are right in the middle of nature no matter what the weather. You can watch hares and pheasant pass only feet from the window. Best of all you can watch the sun go down right in the living room.
This "Exquisite Isolation" however is an illusion. The house is located only 10 minutes from the town of Kilrush, which has all the necessary shopping. Furthermore its served by a Farmers Market on Thursday and has wonderful local butchers & Bakers & fishmongers.
The house has an open gas fire and underfloor heating throughout the ground floor. Upstairs the bedrooms and bathrooms are served with wall heaters digitally controllable.
The house does not have cable TV or any televisions. However you can stream media no problem using our projector from an IPAD or PC. But vegging in front of the TV in a bedroom won't be possible here and with all the nature an activities on your doorstep, it is unlikely that you would want to anyway.
Single Family Home with 2 levels
4 bedrooms, 5 baths, 4500 square feet
King, King, King, and Queen
10 guests maximum
40 minutes by car
Overlooking the beautiful Irish Countryside of County Clare and the Mountains of Kerry & the Shannon Estuary in the distance Our House was awarded Home of The Year on Irish TV in 2017
Activities of Interest
- Cappa Pier, on the Shannon Estuary just 1 km away from Kilrush, is recognized with a European Blue Flag for safe swimming in protected, clean waters.
- For golfers, the world renowned Doonbeg Trump International Golf Course is only 10 minutes away as is Doughmore beach a haven for surfers.
- Dolphin Watching - Kilrush, together with Carrigaholt, are the main access locations for those who wish to view the large group of bottle-nosed dolphins that reside in the Shannon Estuary.
- The safe sheltered sandy beach in Kilkee enables all kinds of watersports as it is protected by Duggerna Reef (a natural wonder itself) with some large and small rock pools full of marine life.
- West Clare is a paradise for anglers! Whether fishing in one of the many lakes and rivers or taking a sea angling trip from Doonbeg, Kilrush or Carrigaholt - a most enjoyable and successful fishing adventure can nearly be guaranteed!
Places of Interest
- Wild Atlantic Way
- West Clare is the heart of traditional Irish music and dance. Many pubs in Kilrush and the neighbouring villages feature live sessions on many evenings throughout the year.
- All the key attractions like the Cliffs of Moher, Willie Clancy Week, Bunratty Castle, The Burren and Lahinch are all within less than an hours drive.
- Dromoland Castle, Doonbeg International Golf Course, Lahinch Golf Course. The Burren
- The Cliff scenery on Loop Head Peninsula is one of Ireland's greatest natural attractions. Loop Head Drive will take you to numerous scenic outlooks as well as to cliff angling spots
- The nearby village of Cooraclare has 3 of the best pubs in County Clare.
Stylish, quirky and fun
We spent a wonderful week at this stunning farmhouse - as soon as you walk through the door that special sense of place and calm hits you. The house is deceptively large with a huge open plan kitchen, sitting room and dining area with bedrooms well spread giving everyone space and privacy. The whole house has been designed in a way that is stylish, quirky and fun but also instantly relaxing. We were in Ireland so of course we had sunshine, showers and some rain but we always managed to find a sunny slot each day to sit out amongst the wild flowers that surround the house. County Clare has the most amazing coastline and it is stunningly beautiful - we explored Loop Head Peninsula, the Wild Atlantic Way all the way up to Galway and The Burren National Park. Ireland is as much about the people as the place and wherever we went the welcome was warm and friendly. Thank you to Louise and family for a wonderful week in this very special place.”
- High Speed Internet
- Outdoor Grill
- Pets (with Approval)
- Washer & Dryer
- Wireless Internet
- iPod Dock Stereo