Big Five Game Lodge Tsheshepe
Tsheshepe Big Five Game Lodge- Welgevonden Game Reserve
Tsheshepe Big Five Game Lodge is located within the 75,000-acre Welgevonden Game Reserve, which is located about a two and a half hours drive north of Johannesburg. Tsheshepe is a private lodge offering an amazing wildlife viewing experience where you could see the endangered rhino, lion, leopard, hippo, elephant, cheetah, buffalo, and the full range of smaller indigenous wildlife species such as impala, waterbuck, klipspringer, duiker, wildlebeest, warthogs, etc.
Welgevonden is also a birdwatcher's paradise, and the rich array of indigenous trees and flora make for wonderful game drives with stops for sundowners in the evening or coffee in the early morning. The Welgevonden terrain is very beautiful, and there is evidence of its rich and ancient wilderness everywhere – from the majestic and mystical rock formations to fascinating San Bushmen cave art.
Live like a film star and enjoy EXCLUSIVE USE. The entire lodge is booked out for one group at a time for their sole use, for anywhere between six and ten guests. It is a top-end safari facility for its owners and their guests. The lodge is managed by an experienced lodge manager and his team. The lodge staff will also service your rooms, cook for you, and handle your laundry as required.
Activities at Tsheshepe Safari Lodge focus on early morning, afternoon/evening game drives throughout the Welgevonden Game Reserve in a comfortable and specially converted open Landcruiser 4x4 vehicle, conducted by our experienced and knowledgeable safari guide. Midday is siesta time to enjoy the lodge's facilities and relax around the swimming pool.
The lodge has five bedrooms, each with an ensuite bathroom, including indoor and outdoor showers and a bath. All but two of the bedrooms are free-standing, made from natural stone and thatch. Two bedrooms are connected with their own private lounge and can be used by two couples or parents with younger children who wish to have their kids closer by. The main area comprises of a lounge, dining room, bar area, and swimming pool.
Access: You can self-drive from Johannesburg to Welgevonden Game Reserve's main park entrance, where you will be met our manager. Your vehicle will be safely stored at the park entrance, and from then onwards, you will be traveling to the lodge and around the Reserve on the lodge's specially converted open 4x4 game viewing Land Cruiser.
Professional transfers can be arranged from Johannesburg at additional cost if preferred. For a larger group with a budget, a charter flight in and out of camps are also a possibility.
Although the Reserve has been regarded as in a malaria-free area, there have recently been a few cases, and suitable precautions should be taken.
The lodge is unfenced, which means children in particular need to be carefully supervised and follow the instructions of the staff.
Estate with 1 level
5 bedrooms, 5 baths, 5000 square feet, 465 square meters
King, King, King, Twin, and Twin
10 guests maximum
O. R. Tambo International Airport - JNB
3 hours by car
Facing a perennial stream 50ft from the main lodge with cliff behind, which houses a troop of about 30 baboons. Enjoy views of African wildlife during your safari adventures!
No Pets Allowed
Not Handicap Accessible
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the nature and location of Tsheshepe, we offer the lodge on a fully catered and serviced basis and hence the additional costs as specified below:
2023 Fees: Minimum charge of 6 guests
6 - 7 guests - US$190 per person per night
8-10 guests - US$165 per person per night
The surcharge covers the cost of your game drives (two per day - morning and evening), plus three sumptuous meals per day, park and concession fees, local drinks (including alcoholic) and daily housekeeping.
Additional costs that will need to be settled at the lodge, in cash on departure are imported drinks or premier brands, staff gratuities and transfers to/from Welgevonden gate.. If you wish to bring your own drinks, no corkage fees will be charged. It is also important that all guests take out fully comprehensive personal travel insurance.
Access to the lodge is as follows:
1) Self drive - you can pick up a car rental at Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport and drive to/from Welgevonden - it is around 3 hours driving time
2) Transfer - we can arrange for a private transfer vehicle to take and collect you from the Park gate, where you will be met by the lodge manager. Estimated cost is around US$500 per 7 seater vehicle each way (approximately 3 hours driving time)
3) Private charter flight - this is subject to the number of guests. However a Cessna Caravan (10 seater aircraft) with maximum baggage allowance of one bag at 20kg's works out to be around US$2300 per aircraft per pick up or drop off (45 minute flight)
Please note that the above costs are estimates only and are subject to change. Accurate costs can be quoted at time of reservation
Activities of Interest
- Visit Bela-Bela, a town in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Deriving its name from the geothermic hot springs around which the town was built, it was formerly called Warmbaths,
- Explore Thabazimbi - an iron mining town in the Limpopo province of South Africa. The town is situated at the feet of the Ysterberg and is surrounded by the Witfonteinrand and Boshofberg with the majestic Kransberg in the background.
- Mabatlane/Vaalwater is a charming little village in the heart of the Waterberg area. It’s a centre for surrounding agriculture and game reserves.
- Kamotsogo Craft Art Kamotsogo - If you’re in Vaalwater looking for unusual handmade products made by locals
- Horse riding or cycling next to the reserve with wild animals but no predators
Places of Interest
- Enjoy Wildlife viewing, safari Trips with Sundowners and Night drives
- Zebula Golf Course offers a superlative golfing experience on a Peter Matkovich designed golf course. Teeing off on this pristine 1 200-hectare bushveld estate is a considerable pleasure with its wildlife spectators, tranquility and vast open spaces.
- Campfires and barbeque in outdoor boma
- Kamotsogo Craft Art Kamotsogo - shop in Vaalwater If you’re in Vaalwater looking for unusual handmade products made by locals
We booked this trip for my mother in laws 80th Birthday. She said it was the best Birthday ever. The owner was so informative and helped coordinate a surprise cake and dinner for me. The staff well I can not put into words how amazing the Chef Livingston is and Steven the manager/ game driver. They really make this place run smoothly. A special shout out to Maggy and Maria and Simon. They were amazing as well. If you are ever thinking of doing a safari with family and friends and want a very safe and Malaria Free place that is private visit Welgevonden Reserve. By far I think it is one of the most amazing reserves in the world. We will definitely be coming back again. Renee and Patrick Finn”
We had a family gathering, and taking the whole lodge made our dreams come true. I had five grandchildren that the lodge comfortably accommodated. Yes, the animal viewing is excellent, four of the big five, a hippo out of water, a cheetah and her cubs on a fresh kill. The lodge is large and.comfy, all private en suites. Super! Here is the really awesome part. The staff is unbelievable, from Steven the guide/GM to Mpho who prepares a great selection of excellent meals to the kitchen and laundry staff. These people will give you great joy and happiness during your stay. I cannot imagine another group of people that will make you feel so welcome. They share their hearts. Enjoy a great trip and enjoy these great people. ”
An incredible trip. Our group of 8 loved the private game lodge and the special dinners the staff arranged for us at special locations at the lodge and on the preserve. We went ballooning, elephant riding, and went locally for lunch and had a local tribal dance group perform for us in their local village.. The owner was so helpful and did everything, including opening his wine cellar, to insure we had the best time.. Fabulous! Pat Magdol ”