Medieval Medina Riad
MEDIEVAL MEDINA RIAD
Like many riads in Morocco, you can't tell what this house is going to be like from the outside. But then the front door opens onto a unique designer ground floor. Every visitor is surprised and delighted.
Old stone columns meet polished concrete curves in a 100 m2 open space of kitchen, dining room and fireplace. Light tumbles down the central atrium and gives you a glimpse of the rest of the house upstairs.
On the first floor, you will find the main living room, also with fireplace, and a spacious master bedroom suite with classic large Moroccan bath. More stairs (vertical living keeps you fit!) up to the yoga room, second bedroom suite and laundry room. A sweet spot for morning coffee on the terrace there, or go up again to more terraces and two more bedroom suites.
The star terrace at the top is best for sunbathing and enjoying the view.
The house was designed by British artist and designer partnership Graham and Emma, and the colours have been added by the colour psychologist owner. Plenty of outdoor and indoor space for your group - with 4 separate terrace areas you can almost have one each.
Unusually for a traditional riad, it benefits from range style cooker and hob along with modern-day essentials like juicer, Nespresso machine and microwave.
Life in the ancient walled city around the medieval medina of Essaouira is a special experience. Men with barrows (or chariots as they call them locally) will take your luggage through the city gates alleyways since no cars inside the medina and all life will be before you. Colourful, gently chaotic and charming.
Essaouira is teeming with small shops, cafes and restaurants. From street food to haute cuisine. The combination of Moroccan, French and international cuisine gives you plenty to choose from. Down in the harbour, Morocco's reputation as Africa's biggest exporter of fish is plain to see: a myriad of blue wooden fishing boats and the pick and grill fish stalls.
The main beach is about ten minutes walk from the house via the Orson Welles Park. It's a big hit with kite surfers and the best place to find horse or camel riding.
Food can be bought in the local souk (check out the fish market - choose anything and they will cook it for you in the cafe in the corner). Or if you prefer there is a Carrefour 8 mins taxi ride away.
The Medieval Medina Riad is a truly stunning property ideally located for you to truly experience what Essaouira has to offer.
THIRDHOME has partnered with VIATOR, one of the largest online destination tours and activities provider, featuring thousands of tours and activities to choose from within a global platform of exciting offerings. VIATOR is perfect for “Do It Yourself” planners to consider when seeking to book a sightseeing day tour, city spree, regional day trips, including local city happenings.
Click the link below to view VIATOR tours and activities:
Single Family Home with 6 levels
4 bedrooms, 4 baths, 3500 square feet
Full, Full, Full, and Twin
9 guests maximum
Essaouira Mogador Airport (ESU)
20 mins by car
Atlantic Ocean (from roof terrace) and surrounding hills
Activities of Interest
- Cooking Class - Take part in a hands-on culinary experience, as you shop for ingredients at the spice souks, learn to make traditional Moroccan dishes.
- Surfing - Essaouira is the perfect spot to surf, take part in both beginner and advanced classes at Essaouira Beach.
- Horse and Camel Tour - Ride on a horse or camel across Essaouira’s beaches, dunes, and forest on a guided tour.
- Quad Tour - Enjoy a day of adventure in the dunes by going on an ATV quad bike tour.
Places of Interest
- Essaouira Medina (2 minute walk) - Walled medina dating from the late 18th century and is a Unesco’s World Heritage site, outstanding and well-preserved example of European military architecture in North Africa.
- Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdellah Museum (4 minute walk) - Visit this museum which features collections of jewellery, costumes, embroidery, woodcarving and weapons from the region.
- Fish Souq (3 minute walk) - Visit this traditional Moroccan fish market, and witness the fish auction.
- Salut Maroc (5 minute walk) - Visit this wonderful Riad " Salut Maroc", which has been beautifully restored with traditional Moroccan mosaic interior design.
- Essaouira Citadel (10 minute walk) - Discover the old Portuguese fortress of Essaouira.
- Chef's Kitchen
- Espresso Machine
- High Speed Internet
- Washer & Dryer
- Wireless Internet